Topic: Protect our pictures

i made a research at a big dating site at my
country and i find that the biggest problem they have
is  that some people steal pictures from real members and they
make new profiles for themselves with stolen pics

just a watermark wont make any difference...the people that steal the pics
make new profiles at the same site

Is there any way to avoid this happening??
Any Ideas?

Re: Protect our pictures

There's no way to avoid it but having a nice little logo on each picture will make it much harder smile Most people will simply leave to look for another site to steal pictures from big_smile

Hey Vlad and others,  some sites uses a way that make picture copyering impossible; if they try to copy the picture, they get the message;"Proceted by this site" or "Copyright This site" (if members/guest do not know how to make screendumps) and can't make a copy. How do those sites do this?

If we could have both this picture copyright and logo, it would protect much better. A logo can easily be moved in most pictures viewers or programs if it is only in the bottom of the picture.

What about watermark?? A watermark that appears on the whole picture on every picture...
This would make it reel impossible for people to steal pictures smile
Is this possibly to do in 2.4.1 ?

Last edited by Freja (2008-06-13 00:46:12)

That protected by this site doesnt work, I'll just take a snapshot with print screen - theres no real way, Also making it more difficult is placing a small 1x1 pixel transparent gif over photo - It wont stop them but will make it difficult and they might just go to another site

Yes, lots of people know how to use the screendump/print screen, so this way only is not optimal. But I just got the idea, that maybe we could make the small logo bigger and make it transparent, so it will work as a watermark...? smile
I'll give it a try soon....

No, dont do that. Its going to look ugly. Good luck though. Just put some warning about this in your terms and conditions ....

freja, this would just make small pictures bigger.. either the original pictures wouldn't be covered with the watermark or small original pictures would get the size of your watermark pictures.

you'd need a new feature for this

Hmm.... Ofcause I have putted warnings, but people have warned me about I'll have problems with members that use to have pictures protections on other sites... They are used to this...

Make a watermark of your sitename and that will solve 90% of possible issues.

It depends on where you ad the watermark, because it can be croped in programs (Photoshop). I'll ask my members in a poll what they will like...

Just install a no right click script on images, that should teach most of the stealers who won't care to check the source code. Another way is image encryption.

You should be able to set up copy protection (no right click) in your hosting cpanel.

bigmike wrote

Just install a no right click script on images, that should teach most of the stealers who won't care to check the source code. Another way is image encryption.

anyone got a script for the no right click...

thx

we have no right click on our site but that doesn't prevent people from using capture software if they want to copy something.

I think a no right-click makes a site look less professional because it's just so simple, and is a minor nuisance to anyone who really wants that  picture.

a simple flick the 'PrtScr' button, and voila! your image is copied, yes, less definitive in resolution, but on whatever purpose copying images do, this will be fine.

no one can prevent this. imo.

If someone wants a picture bad enough they can easy bypass the things site do to prevent it which will detour some people but not all. The watermark can be cropped out, the no right click is more annoying than useful, and metadata can be stripped from image.

You could do what I see stock photo sites do and put a slightly transparent watermark in the center of the image with maybe a member username which can done on the fly with GD. Then have it where the watermark is removed for paid members.

you can make a better images protect with a transparent pictures over the images ...

I can make a tutorial this week how to do it ...
then you try to save the images you only save the transparent gifs.

you can never protect your images for 100 %
but you can make it more difficult for people to steal them smile

Gugu is right. Stealing pictures is only a screenshot away :-D But since most of the users are not that skilled, some basic protections can do allot:
- no rightclick
- no drag (to your desktop)
- secure your uploads folder with anti-leeching script (so that they cannot steal the image from the sourcecode)
etc,...

i use no right click to help solve this problem but i also use it so spammers can't cut and paste to mass email.

gugu wrote

you can make a better images protect with a transparent pictures over the images ...

I can make a tutorial this week how to do it ...
then you try to save the images you only save the transparent gifs.

Gugu great idea, we're waiting

Any solution for this? Problem is the script does not output image size cause all css solution require to have image width and height otherwise it all breaks up:( Thx

Simple solution to disable right click on all images on vldpersonals website.

<script type="text/javascript">
$(document).ready(function(){
    $("div.image").bind("contextmenu",function(e){
        return false;
    });
});
</script>

Right click will work anywhere on the website but not on the images.

Last edited by inatmo (2010-09-21 05:48:09)

I don't know about that...you can't right click anything on my site. But as i said before, you can always use a capturing program if you're really that desperate to lift something off a site.

I make a tutorial just now how we can protect our images ...
but it is only a tutorial how to do ... a few examples ...

later it will be a mods for it on vldmods
I must integrate it for vldPersonals first ...