Topic: Trying to remove "name of site" display

"Name of your site" in CP displays my site name in the browser title bar and at the top of the home page (actually all pages). What do I have to do to keep it from displaying at the top of the page but still be in the title bar?

I would rather modify logo.gif to be both the logo and name/title of the site, and eliminate the name text at the top of the page that comes from the CP entry. I tried to change some of the code for header.tpl but then both my new logo.gif and the name/title from CP did not display.

Thanks for your help.

Re: Trying to remove "name of site" display

You probably need to know css and html to do what you want to do.

Provide a link to the page of your site you are talking about. This will give us an idea how to help and also let us look at your source code if needed.

you can remove the site name in the control panel
Settings ----» System settings-----» General

Name of your site---> Blank

Then go to header.tpl and remove this part---->{settings.app_title}

replace it with your_site_name

Thanks seeme101. Sadly, this doesn't work. When I make the changes you suggest the title goes away but so does logo.gif. Something about this change keeps logo.gif from displaying even though that's still in the code. Any thoughts?

I did a workaround by putting a single character in the CP for site name and then reducing the size way down in the css file. But that doesn't seem like the best way.

Plus, can anyone tell me if not having the title show up in the browser bar hurts search engine ranking in any way?  I would like to have site title included wherever it should be but not display at the top of the pages. Maybe that's not possible. Thanks for your help.

If I understand what you are asking, this is how you do it using CSS. You need to work on two files. header.tpl and site.css

In your header.tpl you see code like this:

<div id="header_wrap">
            <div id="header">
                <h1><span>{settings.app_title}</span></h1>
                {banners:group="header"}
            </div>

In site.css you will see code like this:

div#header h1 {
            padding-left: 80px;
            float: left;
            font: bold 26px/96px Trebuchet MS, tahoma, arial, sans-serif;
            color: #D52525;
            background: url('logo.gif') no-repeat 0px center; }

The first thing you need to do is replace {settings.app_title} with a title you want. Type a title that has your keywords in it for search engines. You CAN NOT delete or leave a space or the image will also disappear. For example type: <h1><span>Asian Dating</span></h1>

To move that text out of the way so no one sees it, we will use a css technique known as image replacement. Add the following to your css: text-indent: -9999px;

div#header h1 {
text-indent: -9999px;
            padding-left: 80px;
            float: left;
            font: bold 26px/96px Trebuchet MS, tahoma, arial, sans-serif;
            color: #D52525;
            background: url('logo.gif') no-repeat 0px center; }

If you did the above correctly, all you will see when you look at your site is the logo. The text however is still seen by the search engines. You can prove this  by looking at your source code and you will see the title in the source code.

Now if you want to replace the default logo, create it, name it logo.gif and upload it to your template media folder to replace the default logo.gif

Last edited by db3204 (2009-03-30 22:17:38)

Thanks so much. This worked perfectly. I'm so impressed with and grateful to all of you who know how to do this stuff. Thanks again.

For version 2.5.5 it lists "logo.png".  In the <b>site.css</b> file make sure you change it to "logo.gif"

background: url('logo.gif') no-repeat 10px center; }

I did the above and it works great!

Now in the Title I have   "Home | Mysitename"

Question: How do I get rid of the   "Home |"

Anyone have any idea how to do this?

edit includes/languages/english/lang.lib.homepage.php and look for
"app_home" =>
"Home",