7 – Add read / not-read by receiver marker on private messages this post

8 – Add form field hints this post

9 – Display different information for paid and non-paid members this post

10 - Navigation by page numbers in control panel this post

Part III

1 – How to add banners this post

2 – Alert members before they reach the Private messaging limit this post

3 – Allow member to add and display Zodiac signs on their profile this post

4 – Add Delete / Edit profile options to front end (accessed by Admin only) this post

5 – Make a canceled member page with feedback form this post

6 – Automatic add profile image to blog / add profile link to blog this post

7 – Add username to pictures and photos in control panel this post

8 – Add AdSense to the header (top) of your site this post

9 – Allow members to add live (links) URL's to their profile this post

10 – Embed a forum into your vld website this post

Part IV

1 – Remove message response number in messages this post

2 – Display content only if on homepage this post

3 – Display content only if NOT on homepagethis post

4 – Language dependent Terms of Service this post

5 – Change the header Graphic on Homepage this post

6 – Make welcome page with feedback form this post

7 – New columns in Control Panel to manage members this post

8 – Quick search links for search by city this post

9 – No contact until after Admin. approves uploaded photo this post

10 – Display members celebrating a birthday today this post

Part V

1 – How to change date formatting this post

2 – Add caption and link to member pictures on profile zoom image this post

3 –Member links Mod/ display friends only if the member has friends this post

4 – Add comment entry text box to your custom pages this post

5 – Display total number of events on your events calender this post

6 – Change your site email server this post

7 – How many characters left mod this post

8 – Human friendly date formatting this post

9 – YouTube embed code mod. this post

10 – Add next image link to hot or not rating page this post

Part VI

1 - Bypass required field in Control Panel edit Members this post

2 -  Show total number of Males and Females in Contorl Panel this post

3 -  Display Last members city, and thumbnails this post

4 -  Create a New Field for Marketing and / or Referral Purposes this post

5 -  AJAX Username Check - taken names AND banned names this post

6 -  Stats extension, Show count "Registered Today" this post

7 -  Adding Featured Member sorting function this post

8 -  Display Member Last Log in date this post

9 -  Minimum word-count for text areas this post

10 -  Don't show certain text on registration page this post

Last edited by seeme101 (2010-06-21 04:47:18)

Re: 60 Mods to Make Your Site Even Better

And the big question - will these mods work with 2.5.5 as they are?

Not ALL, that's for sure.

9 -  Minimum word-count for text areas - doesn't work - any ideas on this would great wink
8 -  Display Member Last Log in date - works fine

Hi Seeme101

which of these mods are available for 2.5.5 version?

& which need changes....

Last edited by morrocanhearts (2009-10-28 04:43:08)

As updates are released, some mods may need to be updated as well.
Because of code changes

Yes i understand, But which do not need updating to 2.5.5, it was a 2 part question,

(1) which are good to go direct to 2.5.5
(2) which need changes

u have some great ideas...

Last edited by morrocanhearts (2009-10-28 10:42:44)

Display Member Last Log in date - works fine in 2.5.5
Minimum word-count for text areas - doesn't work in 2.5.5

This is great - now I'm more certain of the reasons why I've chosen VLD over a heap of other software titles. It's very necessary for the site owner to know how to maintain and upgrade his store (dating site). Thanks for the summary of instructions. Melike very much.

Dragon thats just 1 on the list, any others?

Have only tested those two so far. I don' like having too many mods because thy have to be redone at each update...

morrocanhearts:

Perhaps it would be better to ask each person that created the mod if it works with version 2.5.5.

And maybe thank them for using their personal time and effort to help everyone else here on the vldPersonals forum.

May I suggest you post:

"Thank you for creating and posting Free mods that would cost me hundreds (or maybe thousands) of dollars to hire someone to create.  And by the way can you verify your free mod works with version 2.5.5 so I may use it on my website?"

Last edited by seeme101 (2009-10-29 10:37:12)

A lot of mod authors may not of upgrade to 2.5.5. I know I did not, so I won't be testing for 2.5.5. However, in many cases if you know html and css, you can take a mod and easily adapt it to the version you are using, especially if the version is within the same 2.5.x family.

I did that for the current version I'm using (2.5.3). There were mods written for previous versions of vldP that I got to work with my version.   I installed a test 2.5.3 site, and played with the mod until I got it to work for the version I'm using. This won't work for all, especially if the coding is related to php, but it is worth a try if the mod is something you really want for your site. Once you have tested, it won't hurt to ask specific questions related to your version of vldP and the author may know the answer off the top of their head.

Last edited by db3204 (2009-10-29 10:45:38)

Thank you Dan

2.5.5 has been out now for what? 9 days.

Your jumping the gun abit Mr Seeme101, i was asking a general question, ofcourse i would thank them if i had used it, even paid them, but certain people are not forth comming nor helpfull.

If you want to Alienate me infront of everyone, that is your proagtive & not very professional either.

It would have been more simple to put up an upto date mod list that people could buy from than put up a list that is out of date, not every one is a coder on here & not everyone gets help on here.

i ask for mods in your ticket system & nobody cares to make them, so i end up in forums asking questions & i get hostile answers back.

How can a dating site/social network site NOT have all members online? Not have Last login, Not have Ideal Match with Age drop downs,   Not have member Status, i could go on with this list, but u have this list already & all the codes, why not make a mod section where members could buy mods
You give us the bare bones insult us, attack us & edit our posts  what a cheek!

Last edited by morrocanhearts (2009-10-31 01:41:46)

db3204     

i am not a coder, in reply to your comment.

morrocanhearts wrote

Your jumping the gun abit Mr Seeme101, i was asking a general question, ofcourse i would thank them if i had used it, even paid them, but certain people are not forth comming nor helpfull.

If you want to Alienate me infront of everyone, that is your proagtive & not very professional either.

It would have been more simple to put up an upto date mod list that people could buy from than put up a list that is out of date, not every one is a coder on here & not everyone gets help on here.

i ask for mods in your ticket system & nobody cares to make them, so i end up in forums asking questions & i get hostile answers back.

How can a dating site/social network site NOT have all members online? Not have Last login, Not have Ideal Match with Age drop downs,   Not have member Status, i could go on with this list, but u have this list already & all the codes, why not make a mod section where members could buy mods
You give us the bare bones insult us, attack us & edit our posts  what a cheek!

Calm down. The mods were put together by various different people over a period of time and then collected together by Seeme so we could see them easily in one place. They are not 'out of date' as you seem to think. Most of them worked on the last version, but as the new version has only just been released we can't expect all those people who created them to update them immediately, and many don't upgrade as each version comes out anyway for all kinds of reasons.
This is a friendly and close knit community, and you need a softly softly approach here to get the best results. Everyone does their best to help each other when they can.

Morrocanhearts,

I totally sympathize your motion. On the same token, please take dragon's previous comments into consideration - about being positive with the giver and the community. The script is has excellent framework, and it is open source. That allows us to make necessary adjustments to suite our needs.

It does come down to money. This is the point where I would concur with you. To develop a more thriving community, we need to have a MODS SECTION where the contributors are fairly compensated for their work, either with money or community acknowledgment / thanking. The best examples would be vbulletin.org, phpfox, xoomla, drupal, and even Dolphin Boonex.

Seeme101,

I feel that VLDPersonals has the potential to be best of all dating scripts. By having a more thriving community, the business bottom line will benefit very much from new adopters. Please give us a platform that allows member to member exchange of resources and codes. If you would put a list of important modules, such as Chatroom integration, Member Status (per Morrocanhearts), "comprehensive search" (thread 6623), and the list does go on to many things.

In short, we want more Functions from the existing framework. VLD would also benefit by giving us what we want and be fairly compensated. Plus, we would go out to different forums telling everyone the great things about VLD community.

There is a distinctive culture difference on the forum from when I first join. I think you will get different feedback from those who have been members for a while v.s. those who are newer (less than a year). If you seen the forum when I first join, you would realize it has made leaps and bounds. This Tutorial section did not even exist when I first started and I could count on one hand how many free mods there were compared to now. 

I think old school members have a certain trial an error mentality. I'm not a programmer either, but I can look at code and try my best. Believe me, I do a lot of copy, pasting and stealing code from one template to put in another.  There have been times I would spend hours, even days trying to figure things out and would be 90% there but could not get it to work. When I  turn to someone who could put me over the hump...they saw i made an effort and did not mind helping. It has been the same when submitting help tickets. I would show vlad the code I was working on,  he saw I made an effort and would provide me with the missing piece of the puzzle.

Again, my recommendation is to take a mod you like, try to figure it out on a test site. If you run into a snag, than ask. If you just say something like "this mod does not work with 2.5.5" you probably won't get much feedback. But if you take a mod, try it and are specific about why you could not get it to work, you are likely to get some help.  But if you don't try, you won't get much sympathy or help from those who have been down this road already.

Of course paying someone to do it for you is the other option. I know at times I chose this option because I felt the mod was important or I tried to figure it out and couldn't so I had to go the  paid route.  Right now I only know of two ways for custom mods: vldP help ticket and contacting Ramil at vldCrowd.

Then again there is the other side of the coin. I have helped people, did research for 20, 30 minutes or longer and not even a thank you. They take the time spent for granted. This happen enough, that my enthusiasm has wavered over time. I don't have time to waste and to spend it to help someone with zero gratitude is no fun.

Last edited by db3204 (2009-10-31 15:07:09)

What might be helpful, is to have some of these excellent mods become part of the core code base.  This way the entire platform benefits from the collective effort of the community and subsequent new version releases have some of the functionality built in.  Just a thought...

cbbanescu wrote

What might be helpful, is to have some of these excellent mods become part of the core code base.  This way the entire platform benefits from the collective effort of the community and subsequent new version releases have some of the functionality built in.  Just a thought...

That does happen. There have been a number of mods that Radioact has created over the years and have become part of the core in next update to vldPersonals.

It's an evolution, I had added some in my opinion "must have"  things  to my installation of vld and according to users feature requests vldTeam added similar but not mine obviously smile

radiocat Can you help on the subject of youtube mod please?

db3204 wrote
cbbanescu wrote

That does happen. There have been a number of mods that Radioact has created over the years and have become part of the core in next update to vldPersonals.

Has he been compensated for them, or were they freely offered?
After all, helping members as a gesture is always respected, and RadioMan is always one of the first to help, but if they are now part of the commercial system, they have been taken beyond their original intended audience.
I hope he received some token from vldInteractive, even if it's just another 12 months of updates.

Last edited by fatlizard (2010-06-24 09:48:31)

we are some guys made/making tutorials/mods here on this forum ...
but the most of them is for vldPersonals - 2.5.3 or older ...

but now it is some different coding between 2.5.3 - and newer
some tutorials/mods will not work with newer versions of vldPersonals.

okey here is my solution for it after many question from members here ...
I start a new site vldmods to collect all mods on one place.

we together can follow all mods from 2.5.3 -and newer version and help other to update this mods.
we can discuss the mods and try to help other to get this mods to work with newer version of vldPersonals.

I hope you like the idea and welcome to vldmods ...
please don´t post technical question on vldmods we have this forum for that wink

Last edited by gugu (2011-05-03 13:52:44)