Topic: How to put Cancel membership , button = Read my Solution !

How to put a Cancel profile  cancel membership button - easy to find = sollution  on home profile page ?

Pretty simple !

Open include/language/yourlanguage/lang.core.php

Add somewhare this:

"cancel_account" =>
"Delete account",

Put it on server.

Make same changements for the  other languages if you have.

Now, open: 

templates/your-template/account_home.tpl

Find this:

<div class="options_wrap">
        <div class="title">
            <h1>{lang:"home","app_home"}</h1>
        </div>
        <div class="options">
            <ul>
                <li>{anchor:url1="account/home/",url2="index.php?m=account_home",name="home|opt_home",class="active"}</li>
                <li>{anchor:url1="account/profile/",url2="index.php?m=account_profile",name="home|opt_profile"}</li>
                <li>{anchor:url1="account/photo/",url2="index.php?m=account_photo",name="home|opt_photo"}</li>

Now add this line:

<li>{anchor:url1="account/privacy/cancel/",url2="index.php?m=account_privacy&p=cancel",name="core|cancel_account"}</li>

It should look like this finally:

<div class="options_wrap">
        <div class="title">
            <h1>{lang:"home","app_home"}</h1>
        </div>
        <div class="options">
            <ul>
                <li>{anchor:url1="account/home/",url2="index.php?m=account_home",name="home|opt_home",class="active"}</li>
                <li>{anchor:url1="account/profile/",url2="index.php?m=account_profile",name="home|opt_profile"}</li>
                <li>{anchor:url1="account/photo/",url2="index.php?m=account_photo",name="home|opt_photo"}</li>
                                <li>{anchor:url1="account/privacy/cancel/",url2="index.php?m=account_privacy&p=cancel",name="core|cancel_account"}</li>

That is all ! Good luck !

Last edited by matrimo (2009-02-04 16:15:35)

Re: How to put Cancel membership , button = Read my Solution !

Great mod thanks, should save some time! FYI the file for the language is lang.core.php

Well done Rombest, Thanks.
Added this to my site

You are welcome

Don't be surprised if you get 30% members deleted after installing this mod simplifying account canceling process smile)) Just kidding.

Actually, I think Radioact is right. Making it too easy to cancel may encourage cancellations that otherwise may not happen.

I also agree with radioact. It will be a lot of cancellations. Besides, if members have to write to admin with the request to cancel their account, most of the time they are giving you the reason, which is very helpful, if, for example, you have to improve something, or they already found their match.

Hey guys. We leave a free world. I delete more then 25 users every day. I want keep only serious users because my site intend to marriage.

People should may delete profile as easy they register, be logical. It is not human, not legal,  to oblige someone stay on your site just for improove your statistics.

I don't agree with Radioact, give your users freedom of choice.

rombest, nobody is talking about statistic.

I will give you my reasons not to use cancellation link.
I do not allow female members direct upload of pictures. The reasons are:
Most of the women send pictures which are too big by size (1-2 Mb each).
Some women are trying to upload nude or erotic pictures
We do not allow pictures in the group of others, etc. etc.
So, they have to send pictures directly to us by email and we check pictures, reduce them and add to their profiles.
Some profiles have to be translated, edited , etc.
So, it means there is some job to be done for each members.

Unfortunately, some women think that they can publish their profile today and delete it just in several days only to make it possible to be on the first pages of the search results.
Some have other reasons.
For us this is unnecessary extra work and this is one and the main reason to not use "cancellation link".
If they want to delete their profile, they go to "contact us" page and fill out the form with the subject "cancellation of the profile" and in this case they are providing us the reasons.
If they found their soul mate, they will be deleted the same day.
If the reason is just to change something in the profile, it is easier for us to do it for them, instead of deleting and publishing again.

lindasolberg, system resize even big pictures of + 2 mb for example. Allow size it in CP. We do too much manual work for our members.

Legally members have to may have possibility to modify profile when they wish. I agree with you is borring to see people delete profiles the come back again to create another profile.

But it like on supermarket : Only 40% will buy something, the other 60% just visit, teste, look, then leave. If someone want delete profile finally they do it. By contact us ? too much manual work to delete one by one.

Last edited by matrimo (2009-06-09 08:26:30)

rombest, I do not like the system of resizing pictures. Unfortunately, I can see it on some sites using vld: suddenly member is missing half of the body, or face, etc. etc.

Hello lindasolsberg,

You have to look at the broad picture. Rombest is very right in saying this to cancel membership. If you have customers that want to cancel and don't want to meet people, they must leave your website. This is so you can keep only quality members and your site will build a good reputation for having just genuine members. There is nothing worse as a member to contact someone who is not interested.

I agree totally with Rombest, and cute picture too

well done rombest. Keep writing small snippets of code.

Thanks all.

Yes I agree with above post you have nice idea keep writing ...

and I think it is a nice solution to get members freedom on a site if they will not being members longer
let them try another place smile it is up to us to do our site attractive so members will come back (your site is attractive rombest ) good work ...

but a nice solution should be a popup/tooltip then members cancel membership what say we are sorry you cancel your membership but you is welcome back later ... or that do you think ...
maybee a tooltip then we click on cancelbutton smile it make members feel good and maybee coming back later ...

I modified this mod slightly, I agree with Radiact. So made it bit more difficult.
Rather than putting this mod on account_home I put it in account_settings.tpl and all other template pages related to settings.
Also I put an IF around it:
<!-- IF session.can_cancel_own_account -->                 
<!-- ENDIF -->
and on account_cancel i changed it slightly:
                <li>{anchor:url1="account/privacy/cancel/",url2="index.php?m=account_privacy&p=cancel",name="core|cancel_account",class="active"}</li>
                <!-- ENDIF -->

I think this is a good alternative as it isnt on their homepage, so less obvious. But still easier than the existing method which is so hard to find I actually didn't know it existed today until Radioact told me where to find it.

I love this option.....  I get a lot of emails from members that want to cancel. This will make it so much easier. Thanks!

<li>{anchor:url1="account/privacy/cancel/",url2="index.php?m=account_privacy&p=cancel",name="core|cancel_account",class="active"}</li>
                <!-- ENDIF -->

That one is just perfect for me. I love the idea from rombest, that every user should have the freedom of choice. I hate sites where it is nearly impossible to delete my account when i want to. Those sites do not see me again. Its a princip thing.

Thx rombest for the idea (snippet) and thx idealist for the upgrade snippet.

Does this work with 2.7

I somewhat disagree with this post since I have had the cancel button within complete view of the member. #1, putting the cancel button in their face, might trigger a frivolous cancellation. They may not be having a good day, or in a disagreement with another member and might not be thinking to clearly before clicking the cancel button. I like where it is on this script. I think leaving instructions in the help section is the best method for how to cancel a profile. In V 2.7, the canceled member stays on your server for the amount of days you specify, and then the system will automatically delete them. I always get members who cancel and then want to come back, and I think that's because the delete button was so easy to access.

I agree with datenut ... it is my experience too ... I did a description in my faqpage !
I think it would be better to give members the opportunity to "rest their membership" (paus membership)
so they can come back later, many dating scripts use this function ! I miss it in vldpersonals !

Just to let you guys know, the mod is still working! Even with 2.7!

My question: Is there an option that a user can deactivate his account so that nobody else will see his account and re-activate his account whenever he wants? Would be great. Please let me know!

Czelly wrote

Just to let you guys know, the mod is still working! Even with 2.7!

My question: Is there an option that a user can deactivate his account so that nobody else will see his account and re-activate his account whenever he wants? Would be great. Please let me know!

I think a deactivate button would be great and a short explanation that the profile is removed from view but the user can activate it again at anytime.